Thursday 27 March 2008

My Experiences of School Bullying and Neglect

Going to school, was an opportunity for me to escape from the almost constant physical, emotional, and mental abuse from my mum at home. However, after the third year at secondary school, I was bullied quite badly by a gang of other children for about two years, and which meant that I was being abused at home and bullied at school at the same time.
 
Because of all the stress, anxiety, and depression, I couldn't concentrate on my school work, and at one stage in the fourth year for about a year, I was taken out of school lessons, put in a corridor on my own with a desk and chair, but with no books and writing material, and with some of the bullies isolated in other corridors of the school. This meant that I was still near some of the bullies, unsupervised, and they still continued to bully me.
 
When another pupil asked a teacher why I had been isolated, saying that I had done nothing wrong, the teacher admitted that I had no done anything wrong, but he said that I was "not responding to school work". My dad put in complaints about the bullying, and which still continued, and I had to leave school at 15 because the teachers and head would do nothing about it.
 
The school bullying all started, when I had a friend called Steven at secondary school, and who I was also friends with at my junior school. For the first few years at secondary school, I had a good friendship with him, but at some stage he turned nasty and turned on me with other bullies.
 
When we were friends, Steven would sometimes stay the night round my house on weekends, but at some stage I didn't feel comfortable with him doing this, because he wanted to sleep in the same bed as me, and I refused to have him over to stay the night. It was then that he became isolated from me at school, and formed a friendship with another boy, who was like the pack leader of a gang of bullies.
 
What made the bullying worse, was that me and Steven both had the same sexual fantasies and desires about being sexually dominated by women, but he was ashamed of this, and told some of the other boys that I "Liked being bossed around by women". This made the bullying much worse. It was a very rough, poor, all-boys school, and a lot of fighting and bullying went on. I kept out of the way of the fighting, but I saw some horrible fights between some boys, and witnessed some very violent bullying too.
 
Although I was never physically beaten up by the bullies, a lot of the bullying was mental and psychological, and some of it was physical in a way too. The gang of bullies would often pull my hair, take my glasses off of me and refuse to give them back, take off my shoes and throw them around, pull my tie tight into a knot, and pull my arms each side of me. They also used to pin me down and all pile on top of me, and I was given "the bumps" on the odd occasion.
 
The way the child abuse affected me, was that it made me have low self esteem, and made me depressed and anxious, and unable to concentrate on my own emotions and thoughts, because so much time was spent trying to push the experience of the abuse out of my mind, to forget it, and not think about it. The school bullying made me less trusting of other people, and gave me a fear of crowds.

No comments:

Post a Comment