Friday 8 January 2010

Gender and Spirituality

I sometimes wonder, whether human and individual gender (feminine and/or masculine so-called character traits or qualities), are intrinsic things of the real body, genetic make-up, mind, personality, and so-called spirit, or whether these things are all learnt socially, and culturally, as most sociologists tends to state.

I asked my mum’s partner, Bill, about this, and in his views based upon his knowledge of spiritualism, he said that the real person, or spirit, doesn’t have a gender, because he said that the real person was just spirit, and which was just pure energy and light. Most animals, or dogs in particular (which I was thinking of as an example on this), don’t really have a gender, or gender characteristics as such (although some people do say that male and female dogs have some gender-type differences), and so therefore, gender, seems a very human thing to me.

I sometimes use a chat room, on the Internet, and some of the names, or nicks, of the chat members or participants, are genderless names like boaty or lucky. Sometimes, with these names, I can still tell whether the person chatting is a male or female, by what they say and how they say it, but other times I can’t really tell the difference.

I think that in some ways, gender IS a part of the real person, or so-called spirit, and in some ways it isn’t, as we are all in some ways a mixture of feminine and masculine, and in some other ways I think we are just human, or like animals, or pure spirits, and genderless. Mostly though, I do think that our real selves, are our gender qualities and characteristics, and that this can also tell us more about psychology and spirituality.

No comments:

Post a Comment