Friday 2 April 2010

The Desperate, Very Important, and Much Needed, Freely Available Counselling Services for Ex-military Service People and War Veterans

There are now new mental health services and a helpline, for all ex-military men and women and war veterans who need it. They all make great sacrifices, do a great job for us all, and have no real say on how or what the politicians tell them to do, and so it's about time that the politicians got their finger out, and actually did something very relevant, positive, and constructive for them all, and for the ones who need this helpline and mental health services.

About eight years ago, in a local pub, I spoke to an old ex-military soldier, who had fought in the Burmese war, and for want of a better phrase, I gave him a long free therapy counselling session, because he said he was very concerned that he had never spoken to anyone about his war experiences.

This ex-soldier and war veteran wanted to tell me, that during that war, he had to kill people, which had always bothered his conscience and made him feel guilty, but I assured him, that despite the reality that he had done this, this was not really his fault, and that I knew from what he had just told me, that he would never intentionally want to harm or kill anyone.

He also told me about some other things about his war-experiences, and then he very rightfully complained that lots of people get counselling these days, but that people like him get nothing in that respect. After telling him I was an expert on mental health, he then asked me if I thought he had a psychological problem, to which I said no - that he only had a problem if he was personally unable to talk about these experiences and things - and I told him that the problem, was one of lack of counselling services for folk like him.

In light of all this, freely available counselling for ex-military service people and veterans, is something that we all need to campaign for and get from the government for mental health services, for ex-military people and war veterans who need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment